Friday, December 9, 2011

Please tell me ... you have heard of Demis Roussos, or Aphrodite’s Child?


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV7X5tPt6wc









A few nights ago I woke up and clearly heard inside my (crazy) head ‘Goodbye my love, good bye’ .... it was haunting me, because just that day I had found out that a friend of mine had died.
She passed away after her second bout with cancer ... she was an awesome person that was my son’s teacher during his ‘gifted program’ from age 7 till 12. She taught me how to deal with my son. Not many people realize, but gifted children can have a very hard time socializing and are often lonely and difficult.

Somehow the song seemed to have something to do with her, yet I didn’t understand the connection. Wasn’t that a lovesong? When I listened to it and looked up the lyrics I realized this song could have a totally different meaning.

When I was a teenager I remember having a major crush on this handsome man. He was born in Egypt, till his family moved back to Greece. Demis was in a band ‘Aphrodite’s Child and his voice wasn’t discovered till the lead-singer took a break and asked him to sing a few songs.
Demi became an immediate hit in Europe after that. Young girls like myself carried a major crush on his dark, wild look.
His music carries the influence of the Middle East and Greece  combined and his voice is haunting.

So now I am in the USA and NOBODY KNOWS ABOUT HIM?

I went on the internet and found a lot of his music ... the old videos have poor quality, but several seem to have been redone and still make chills come down my spine . So much passion!!

The man is grey now, his voice slightly trembles, but he still sings.
Some of my favorites .....

‘Good-bye my love, good-bye’
‘Forever and ever’
‘My friend the wind’
‘Follow me’

And with Aphrodite’s Child ...’ Rain and tears’

~~~~~~~~~

And here are the lyrics to the song ‘Follow me’


Follow me to a land across the shining sea
Waiting beyond the world that we have known
Beyond a world we dreamed could be
And the joy we have tasted

Follow me along the road where only love can see
Rising above the fully of the night
Into the light beyond the tears
And all the years we have wasted

Follow me to a distant land as mountain high
Where all the music that we always kept inside will fill the sky
Singing in the silence where the heart's real
While the world goes on turning, turning
Turning, follow me

Follow me to a land across the shining sea
Rising above the fully of the night
Into the light beyond the tears
And all the years we have wasted

Follow me to a distant land as mountain high
Where all the music that we always kept inside will fill the sky
Singing in the silence where the heart's real
While the world goes on turning, turning
Turning, follow me

Take my hand
And we'll find the land
Beyond the shining sea
Follow me

No comments:

Post a Comment